Thursday, April 10, 2008

Why you don't buy new things when you have children...

Today, Drew poured most of a Diet Coke in my new car. Yes, picked up a can and promptly poured it into the rear cup holders, on the floor and on the seats.
We were leaving his appointment at the allergist and he was playing his "I'll get in my seat all by myself - after I run around the car for a while" game. When I reached in from the side door to grab him, he said he would do it himself. So, I stepped back. I then watched in horror as he dove over the middle console, grabbed my 3/4 full can of Diet Coke, and started to pour it in the cup holders on the back of the console. When I reached in to stop him, he jerked away from me and poured more on the seats and floor. I cried, got as much up as I could with what I had available in the car, and drove home. Luckily, Nana and Grandaddy were at our house with Allen while he napped. I put Drew in his room (he cried...a lot...) and started cleaning. My dad pulled the middle console out and Diet Coke kept pouring out of various openings. The cup holders on the top have small openings so it all flowed to the "extra" holders at the bottom (it is a minivan...there are thousands of cup holders!). We cleaned and took it apart as best we could, but I think there will be Diet Coke in that console for a long time! I think I got most of it out of the carpet, and it wiped off the seats just fine (another reason to have leather with children!).
Drew and I talked about how he hurt Mommy's new car and how that made her very sad. He apologized and told me he still loved the new car. I told him I still loved him...but that he had lost his car privileges for a while. I will be putting him into his seat myself for a few weeks!!
All I wanted was to make it to permanent tags before something happened to my new car!

No comments: